Friday, April 18, 2014

News Diet for Me

I was riding my bike on the trainer this morning and flipped on television - something I usually don’t do.  I usually watch a Netflix show or listen to a podcast.  But this morning, I watched the morning news programs.

All the news was all extremely emotional, tragic and sad.  

A Korean ferry capsized with 300 missing high school students, 12 people were killed on Mt Everest, some asshole shooting people in Kansas City was arrested, Ukraine and Russia are getting ready to battle, etc, etc, etc.  (The only good news was a piece I saw was on the 50th anniversary of a Ford Mustang).  The rest of the stories were horrible and personally stressful.  

And there was absolutely nothing I could do to change what happened.

There should be a ‘good news’ news program.

I've concluded that I am going on news diet – starting today.  Why should I stress myself out with all this negativity and overwhelmingly sad stories when there is absolutely nothing I can do about most of it?

I’m just going to put my head in the sand for a while and concentrate on things I can impact – like my health, my relationships, my productively, and my business.  

That seems to make more sense than spending any time focusing on other problems that really don’t impact me and where I cannot help.