Tuesday, October 30, 2012

How Finance Executives Get Stuff Done


It’s all about prioritization and the focus to get stuff done.  There are tons of books and articles on the subject. 

My approach is simple.

Delegate what you can and make a daily list. 

I like to chunk my time into what I think is important – family, sleep, workout, projects/clients, fun, etc. totaling 24 hours.  This help ensures I look at the big picture. 

My projects and tasks are based off my 30/60/90 day plan. 

My daily list is a printed form I developed.  It has a few boxes titled Projects, People, and Priorities then some space for handwritten tasks.  I have a box with all my projects listed at the top, then a box for people to reach out to, then a list of priorities to get done that day.  Since I print a new list every day, and I update the ‘things to do today’, I shouldn’t drop any of the priority tasks. 

It’s not perfect, but it’s easy for me and easily tracks all the items I get done daily, weekly, and monthly.  I am also using the iDone This app to track my accomplishments.  Check that out and some of the psychology around reflecting on and celebrating your accomplishments.  It is also an great app to manage your team.

The key is to ensure your addressing your overall strategy.  How do you string days together for a life of action and purpose?  That can be the difficult part and is a huge subject on its own.

Think Profit,
/jon